The reasons for the disintegration of a marriage are varied, but there are things you can do to try to solve the problems that have gradually made the partnership a miserable one.
- Talk to each other. Ask each other what they dislike about things in the marriage and see how they can be resolved. Discuss problems sensibly and try to solve them together. Talk and most of all listen. You may not like what you hear, but if you’re open with each other, you’re on the first step to solving the problems.
- Don’t suffocate your partner. Everyone needs their own space. If you need to know everything they’re doing, where they’ve been, who they’ve seen, it can be extremely claustrophobic. Being constantly worried about what your partner’s up to can destroy a relationship very quickly.
- Support each other. No matter what problems arise in a marriage, by supporting each other through it you will grow closer and the problems will not overtake your lives.
- Compromise. Today that is almost seen as a rude word, but compromise is important in any relationship. It means you love someone enough to forego your own particular needs from time to time in order to create a happy environment. This has to be done from both sides, and it will help to give you a good basis from which to move forward in the marriage.
- Discipline. Discipline in the way you look after yourself and keep yourself looking as attractive as possible. Keeping the home as a place of warmth and welcoming when you get home at night makes such a difference as to how you both perceive each other. It can be achieved and is well worth the effort no matter how tired you may be at the end of the day.
- Don’t let your children rule your marriage. However much you both love your children they should not dominate your home to the extent that you and your partner never get time for each other. Sharing things together as a family is essential, but at the end of the day it should be time for you and your partner to sit and talk about things together.
- Make time for each other and don’t take one another for granted. No-one knows what tomorrow may bring, so make the most of what you have today. Remember, each day can be lived in utter misery or happily, the choice is yours. Let tomorrow take care of itself and enjoy each other today.
- Keep your interests alive. Don’t become boring. There are wonderful things to see and do in the world, so participate in them as much as possible, both together and apart. Then you can come together at the end of the day and talk about them, keeping your interest in each other alive.
There are many others tips which will hopefully make you see it’s never impossible to keep your partnership alive.